2018 was an incredible year of growth and opportunity for our firm. Most notably, Pique Ventures was selected to participate in the Government of Canada’s Venture Capital Catalyst Initiative. What that means is we have secured our anchor investor for our second impact venture fund, Pique Fund II, and are in a great position for growth in the coming year.
We launched Pique Fund in 2014. We currently have 39 investors and seven women-founded tech ventures in British Columbia. We have capital available to invest in one or two more new ventures. We endeavour to welcome additional investment capital into the fund to support the growth of our portfolio companies through follow-on funding.
Pique Ventures is hiring and has an internship available for recent graduates (if you recently graduated from university in 2017 or 2018). This role could be a fit for you if you’re interested in learning more about venture capital and impact investing, are curious by nature and like to ask questions. Maybe you’ve read Thomas Piketty’s Capital or Paul Hawken’s Drawdown. Maybe NPR’s Planet Money is one of your top 10 favourite podcasts. Read on and if you’re interested in learning more about this opportunity, contact us.
Pique Ventures is an impact investment and management company based in Vancouver, BC. We invest in technology ventures, with a focus on women-led companies, tech for good, and diversity and inclusion in tech.
We are currently seeking a Digital Tech Analyst to serve as a key member of our investment team. As the Digital Tech Analyst, you will have the opportunity to learn about impact investing while helping our investors and entrepreneurs, by researching and evaluating investment opportunities, doing due diligence, and gathering information on portfolio impact and financial performance. You will also manage the digital marketing for Pique Ventures and its funds, including creating digital content for social media, e-newsletter, website, and our other online channels. The Digital Tech Analyst will report directly to the CEO.
Qualities We Value
- Growth mindset
- Investor mindset
- Purpose-driven and impact-oriented – driven to “take care of the village”
Duties and responsibilities
Evaluation and Due Diligence
- Help us get organized and modernize, using digital tools and software to manage our pipeline of investment opportunities.
- Analyze the measurable potential financial and impact outcomes to understand and evaluate investment opportunities.
Research and Reporting
- Research trends and opportunities in technology and impact investing and use this research to support our investment strategy.
- Collect, understand, and analyze data to communicate the performance of our portfolio of technology ventures, using digital accounting and reporting tools.
- Create digital content, manage our digital marketing schedule using Trello and Buffer, and execute social media marketing strategy.
- Collaborate with the CEO to create digital content for our e-newsletter (using Mailchimp), for our website and to share through our online channels (including Medium and LinkedIn).
- Manage our in-person events using digital tools such as Eventbrite and online events and webinars using Zoom.
Knowledge and skills
- Organized and experienced with software and digital productivity tools (such as HubSpot, Trello, Zoom, Calendly, DocuSign, Google and GSuite).
- Thoughtful communicator and ability to convey information, asks, and offers to a wide range of stakeholders including investors, entrepreneurs (C-Suite), partners, and service providers.
- Analytical and due diligence skills including research, discovery, analysis, and starting to develop integrated decision-making skills.
- Sales, marketing, and communication skills including digital content creation and digital marketing experience.
- You may have experience working in a technology startup, raising capital, performing financial or investment analysis or direct experience working with angel or venture capital investors.
- Passionate about technology startups, diversity in tech, and impact investing.
- You have an undergraduate degree and maximum 2 years professional and analytical experience working in an entrepreneurial setting, consulting firm, professional services/advisory firm, or financial institution.
- You may have a graduate degree or other professional designations.
- You may have experience working in a startup, raising capital, performing financial or investment analysis or direct experience working with angel or venture capital investors.
- Presenting your portfolio of work will be helpful in our evaluation. Your portfolio could include examples of industry analysis, presentations, due diligence reports, investment memos, or blog posts you’ve created and written.
To express your interest in this role, please forward your resume or CV, along with any examples from your portfolio of work, if available (links or PDFs) to bonnie [at] piqueventures [dot] com before January 1, 2019.
About Pique Ventures
Pique Ventures was founded in 2012 and in 2014, we launched our first fund, Pique Fund. In 2016, we added US-based Crown Northcorp’s group of assets under our management, comprised of a $10M real estate-backed operating business, a training startup, and two holding companies. In 2018, after a competitive application process, Pique Ventures was selected to participate in the Government of Canada’s Venture Capital Catalyst Initiative (“VCCI”). Investment from VCCI, managed by BDC Capital, will help Pique Ventures launch its second venture fund, Pique Fund II, in 2019. Read more about why we invest in leadership diversity and about our firm’s origins.